Mold Testing by Certified, Licensed Professionals
When buying a home, it’s important to know if there are any unseen dangers that could impact your health or your safety. Mold, like other obvious dangers, can present a potential hazard that if not discovered has the potential to impact health and property in serious ways. If you suspect mold in your Prescott or Northern AZ home or building, Total Home Inspection Services offers comprehensive mold testing & remediation services.
Is Mold Dangerous?
If you’re worried about mold, moisture damage, or indoor air quality you should be aware that even small amounts of visible mold found by a home inspector can be enough to stop a sale, however, in many cases, minor mold can be readily handled. Mold Also Has The Potential to Ruin building Materials And Can:
- Destroy personal possessions
- Can cause allergies
- Can trigger allergic reactions, asthma, hypersensitivity, and in rare circumstances, cause disease
Is Mold Testing Necessary?
Where extensive visible mold is obvious, there may not always be a need for testing however, the main concern with mold is AIRBORNE exposure, which is not visible to the naked eye. Moreover, poor clean-ups may disturb mold, causing very high airborne mold levels which can easily spread throughout a building. Because of this, mold assessments without airborne mold testing must be considered incomplete.
What is Mold?
Mold a fungus that grows in the form of multicellular filaments called hyphae. Mold eats and destroys normal building materials used in your home when they get wet. Mold reproduces and then spreads by shedding microscopic mold spores into the air and we breathe them in – sometimes in large enough amounts that are unhealthy. Indoor mold types that can damage your home and health include:
- Aspergillus / Penicillium / Trichoderma
- Stachybotrys / Chaetomium / Ulocladium
- Cladosporium / Alternaria / Curvularia
Do You Experience Any Sensitivity?
Exposure to mold is known to cause:
- Itching or irritation of the eyes, nose, throat or skin.
- Burning sensation on skin or rashes
- Sinus infections or congestion (runny nose)
- Musty odor
- Respiratory problems (sneezing or coughing)
- Frequent or onset headaches or migraines
- Changes in breathing patterns
Where to Check for Visible Mold
- Around the bathtub or shower
- Around & Under sink
- Under & Behind Toilet
- Around bathroom vanity
- Around & Under the sink where leakage might occur
- Behind and Under Refrigerator
- Floors, wall cavities and ceilings directly above or below a bathroom or kitchen
- Attic & Basement Spaces
- Laundry Area
- Around Water Heater
- Around & Inside AC Unit & Vents
- Garage (Especially when directly attached to entrance of home)
- Carpet & Rugs
- Behind vinyl wall coverings
- Surface walls behind furniture
When and Where to Test
If you answer YES to any of the following, it is recommend you TEST right away:
- Recent severe storm (wind and rain)
- Construction defects
- Poor filtration in HVAC
- Plumbing problems
- Improper insulation, ventilation or grading
- Basement floods or leaks Roof /ceiling leaks
- Presence of items that are damaged by water
Have you seen visible mold?
Any substance that looks:
Why You Should Test?
The value of testing is that it identifies and determines the cause of a mold problem. Other significant reasons include:
- Be proactive and find problems before they get large and expensive
- To answer the question, “Do I have a hidden mold growing in my home?”
- To know what kind of mold you may have
- To avoid unseen potential health risks
- To maintain the healthy state of your home
- To solve building defects such as dry rot, warping and deterioration of your home
- To avoid future expense of a massive remediation
- Peace of mind when buying or selling a house
- Protect your property and possessions
- Identify the RED Flags that can indicate a water problem
- Testing is the first step in correction of a mold problem
Mold Testing Made Simple
Your home inspector has been trained and educated by PRO-LAB® to collect the appropriate samples and will:
- determine whether you need an air sample or swab/ tape lift only (recommended).
- once you’ve decided what type of testing is needed, just call! Our operators are standing by to schedule your test as soon as possible. (Remember you will need to arrange for our access)
- once samples are taken, samples are sent via Fed X to pro lab for a quick and reliable analysis which will be emailed directly to you.
I am a buyer considering to purchase a manufactured home. Jack did an outstanding job and was very thorough. I have never bought a manufactured home before and Jack educated me on things to look for. The report contained photos which was excellent because I am able to show photos to my seller on the items we need repaired prior to the purchase. He went on the roof, and crawled under the house; and caught items that I missed. If your looking for a home inspector, I would highly recommend him. I typically dont give reviews or recommendations, but, Jack's service is an exception. It is worth the money spent.
Fairly new to Arizona, Prescott Valley specifically. I've been looking since March for a new home with not much luck. I finally found a place and started the wheels rolling; inspection of a property is very important. I went through home advisory and I'm very pleased with the professional(s) they sent. Very knowledgeable, very on time, went over any problem in a very understandable manner. I would suggest them to anyone in the need.
Jack was everything I was looking and hoping for in an inspector. He and JJ were very thorough in their inspection and spent several hours at the property we are purchasing even though it was only 750 sft. He explained everything to me in a way that I could understand and was very patient with my constant questions. He was willing to drive to our rural location on a weekend so we could be there and I'm so grateful for the peace of mind I felt after his inspection. I would highly recommend. Thanks Jack!
I was impressed because as part of hiring Total Home Inspection for our inspection they gave us a one year membership to Porch. A few days later Porch called me and asked a few questions like if I needed estimates and contractor references for repairs or movers, when I said we were doing it ourselves they gave us a 20% of coupon via text for a moving truck... then they connected me via conference call to an insurance company and I got a quote that was HALF the cost of the lowest quote we had been given so far (and our home is hard to insure because of the fire danger). Porch also gave us coupons for any future repair costs. Porch said they will call when we get closer to moving to help with changing utilities and connect us with someone to move the jacuzzi ... it was surprising and totally first rate customer service! 🙂
Inspector Jack Jackson was a complete professional. He put me at ease to buy my new home. Offered to help when I was settled if I needed anything. Jack told me he was local and I could give him a call anytime. Jack's one of the good guys. Go to him if you need an inspection.
Jack has done two home inspections for us. Very thorough and prompt. We will use his company on our future purchases.
Absolutely great home inspector.
Jack was very professional, he did a very detailed job, I asked him If I could be his shadow and he had no problem with that at all, he would explain to me everything that he found that either should be fixed or minor things that I should pay attention to, It took about 2 1/5 hrs. to complete his inspection. and he gives you a binder with the report of what he inspected and everything is listed as good,fair,poor, the report is very easy to read, and he takes pictures of the things that need special attention. I definitely recommend him and would use him again.
Before selling my property in prescott AZ. I needed to have a home inspection done. I had used Total inspection before for a building inspection and they were great to work with then. Really happy that I chose them to do a home inspection because once again they were great to work with. Trustworthly, professional and honest.
Jack was professional and friendly. He thoroughly answered all of our questions. At the end of the inspection he gave us a binder with a copy of the full report, including color photos. This was extremely helpful! Thanks Jack!